Friday, 20 July 2012

Audiobook Review: Charles Dickens by Claire Tomalin

Purchased from Audible. 16hrs 10 mins. Narrator Alex Jennings.

Judging by the size of the paper book I expected the audiobook to be longer. However, it was long enough and near the end I found myself losing the plot - literally. I do find listening to non-fiction to be a challenge, whereas fiction tends to work well by ear.

The content itself is brilliant and I learnt more about Dickens than I expected he knew about himself. Hats of to Claire Tomalin for a superb biography. I have no idea how someone can curate all those snippets of information and turn them into a cohesive and readable text. 

The narrator was good; perhaps a bit sing-songy at times as though he was reading to a group of children, but overall I'd listen to a book narrated by him again.

This gets a 4 stars from me - dropping a star only because it seemed to go on for an hour longer than necessary.

No comments: