Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Book Review: Shelter by Harlan Coben


Shelter by Harlan Coban
Purchased from WH Smith as part of The Times' Weekly Deal

I'm a Harlan Coben fan. I've read all his books and enjoyed them - until this one. I purchased the book as it was one of The Times' weekly deals. I didn't bother reading up about it beforehand as I already knew the author.
I was part way through the book, shocked by the poor structure and rather strange behaviour of the characters, when I discovered it was the author's first foray into the Young Adult genre. Suffice to say, I don't recommend any young adults read this. We have examples from JK Rowling and Phillip Pullman how literature can be well written for this genre - it does not mean a lowering of the standards.
The characters we not fully believable in their actions or motivations. The sense of place was weak. The structure barely held together.
Shelter is advertised as the first in a series. I'll not be buying the rest. It's a real shame to have to give a poor rating to a good author, but he has stepped away from what he does well and, for me, his narrative skills have not translated into the young adult genre.




No comments: